Thursday, May 15, 2014

Granny's summery table runner

I whipped up a quick table runner (about 36" x 9") for Corey's Granny last weekend, again using the Robert Kaufman jelly roll.  I still have quite a bit of it left, too!  Anyway, the backing is just some royal blue Kona cotton, and I put felt inside as the batting.  You can't really see it in this horrible cell phone picture, but I quilted the top using big Xs across each of the four blocks.



Instead of binding (which I was too chicken to do on a project for an amazing quilter such as Granny!), I used piping.  Granny thought that was very fun.



The only bummer about doing everything that way is that there isn't any neat quilting to show through on the plain backing.  I suppose I could add the quilting after final assembly, but then I would have to deal with the ugly backstitches showing.  I could also add a second layer of batting to the backing and quilt it separately before assembly.  Ooh -- I'm definitely going to try that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment