Thursday, August 15, 2013

Valerie's My Little Pony

Sonia's little friend, Valerie, loooooooooooves My Little Pony, so I finally had an excuse to try out a really cool-looking free My Little Pony amigurumi pattern by Knit One Awesome that I had seen on Pinterest many times.  I asked Val's mom which pony Val liked the best, and she replied "Pinkie Pie" instantly.  Many hours of hooking resulted in this creation:



Here's what Pinkie Pie looks like these days in the My Little Pony cartoon:



And in toy form:



My Little Ponies have huge eyes these days!




The pattern calls for the eyes to be painted onto felt and then sewed on, but Val has a younger sister who would probably rip the felt off.  It took me a long time to figure out a way to crochet the eyes.  I'm annoyed that the method that I chose causes the eyes to bug out so much, but oh well....  It was the best I could do.  The nose also turned out a wee bit too long, but I was afraid to modify it and make it look worse.  Argh.  But I love Pinkie Pie's mane and tail!

Val's mom sent me this picture of the exhausted birthday girl snuggling Pinkie Pie on the way home after her birthday party....  Awesome!!!


Happy 4th birthday to our Valley Girl!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! That is amazing! The mane and tail are fabulous - and I kind of like the bug eyes! Great work and what a lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did u crochet the eyes? I like them my email is artista_ brushtail@gmail.com . I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started with a 6 sc magic circle (also known as an adjustable loop) in black, and then worked around just half of the circle for a couple more half rounds. Then, I went to the other half of the circle and worked first some blue and then the white. Just used basic amigurumi-style increase patterns.

    ReplyDelete